Irish, French and Flemish instrumental music from the cultural crossroads of Europe. Features Karen Ashbrook and Paul Oorts. They perform on hammered dulcimer, wooden flute and pennywhistle; harp-guitar, classical and steel stringed guitars, mandolin, musette accordion, cittern, tenor banjo and with a wide and diverse range of guests on fiddle, uilleann pipes, woodwinds and soprano sax , French horn, bass, piano, and percussion.
"Wonderfully energetic and exquisitely arranged collaborations. Celtic Cafe makes an thoroughly enjoyable and evocative travelogue."
~ The Washington Post
"Highly recommended for ears thirsting for true musical adventure... If you love music full of raw energy and cultural diversity (Irish, French and Flemish), you won't be able to eject this CD. Bright and full of a range of emotions not often stirred by the "pop" music you'll hear these days, Celtic Cafe will expand your mental boundaries.
The pipes (Mark Hillman) and woodwinds (Bobby Read) add an element of enchantment that will stay in your mind for days (even years, I'd imagine)... people who love life and the living will cherish this unique album for many listens to come. Joy is clearly expressed in Bonnie Rideout's Scottish fiddle playing. It's the kind of music that you can get up and dance to without having to "put on airs". I fell in love with it right away... it's a "keeper"! I rate it MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for ears thirsting for true musical adventure."
~ Improvijazzation Nation (issue # 47)
"Karen has long been something of a heroine to me. Her style is at times traditional, then moves surprisingly at a tangent, making it more interesting in an unexpected way. And her whistle playing is excellent."
~ Irish Edition, Philadelphia
- Breton Dance/Star of Munster (4:29)
Irish Maidens Set (2-3):
- Máirin De Barra aire (2:13)
- Siobhan O'Donnell's/Handsome Young Maidens (3:59)
- Style Musette 2:30 Irish Reel Set (5-6):
- Hong Herald (2:17)
- Bear Island/Séan sa Cheo/Hong Herald (4:19)
- Behind the Bush in the Garden/Sgt. Early's Dream/Lady Anne Montgomery (5:19)
- Belgian Jigs: Colonne la Gavre/Sabotière de Nonceveux/La Marchande (3:45)
- Valse Petit Déjeuner (3:53)
- Flemish Carillon Set: Wel Island/Chimes of Dunkirk/Air (5:11)
- Paspie Menuet/Mr. Waller (Turlough O'Carolan) (5:11)
- Napoleon Suite (12-19)-Before the Battle: Gathering at Waterloo/Will You Go to Flanders (1:47)
- Napoleon Suite - Before the Battle: Wellington's Coming (1:12)
- Napoleon Suite - Before the Battle: The Victor's Return (1:47)
- Napoleon Suite - Before the Battle: Waterloo Hornpipe (1:52)
- Napoleon Suite - The Battle: Bonaparte's Defeat (0:34)
- Napoleon Suite - Battlefire/The Retreat (2:51)
- Napoleon Suite - Lamentation for the Fallen Heroes of Waterloo (3:24)
- Napoleon Suite - The Aftermath: 19. The 78th's Farewell to Belgium (2:41)