As heard in the movie Sleepy Hollow (with actor, Johnny Depp)
Spirited new sounds from early Colonial America - from the arrival of the first colonists to the American Revolution and the birth of our republic. Hesperus Ensemble performs on recorders, Baroque violin, viola da gamba, flageolet, hammered dulcimer, cittern and Baroque guitar. The musicians play high energy improvisations, lively country dance tunes, elegant French cotillions and early American shape-note hymns. (55:51 minutes).
The Early American Roots Tunebook (Mel Bay) is a companion volume to Early American Roots CD . It features sheet music for every piece on the CD, including chords, ornaments, counter melodies and improvisations.
BONUS! Good for Schools, Teachers, Libraries: this CD includes liner notes with extensive educational information on the music of Early America.
Includes: Apollo's Banquet (17th c.) Hornpipes and Jigs from John Playford's Dancing Master (1651), Scotch Cap, Rufty Tufty and The Merry Milkmaids from John Carr's First Book of Cotillions.
The Maggie's Music Early American Music Series now features five award-winning CDs: (flyer)
- Madison's Whim/The Merry Strollers/The Killerman (2:20)
- Bobbing Joe Medley: Bobbing Joe (2:52)
- Cuckholds all in a Row/Rufty Tufty/ Parson's Farewell (4:14)
- Captain Kidd/Nashville (2:19)
- A Sett of Hornpipes (1:56)
- Butter'd Peas (1:49)
- Daphne (1:50)
- La Poulle (1:26)
- Childgrove (2:27)
- Spirit of Gambo (3:07)
- Portsmouth/Staines Morris/Lusty Gallant/Chelsea Reach (4:50)
- Argeers (1:47)
- Daniel Purcell's Ground (3:47)
- New Jersey/The ball (1:54)
- John Come Kiss Me Now (1:42)
- Rockbridge/The Garden Hymn (2:20)
- A Sett of Jiggs (2:47)
- Scotch Cap (1:44)
- The Merry Milkmaids (1:52)
- The President's March/Ça Ira (2:58)
- The Swallow/The Colly Flower (3:08)
- Johnny Cock thy Beaver (1:51)